Protect Your Home From Cold Weather
Winter seems to be upon us now. The next few days the temperature is supposed to drop significantly and you need to be ready. We thought it would be a good idea to give you a few simple suggestions to get ready for this cold weather.
- Disconnect your water hoses from the hose bib so it does not freeze your water pipe.
- As soon as you disconnect the hose stretch it out so water can drain from the hose then its ready to store for the winter and there is no water inside it to freeze.
- On those really cold days, we usually take a rag and wrap around the hose bib then place a solo cup, can or a hose bib cover you can purchase at a hardware store on the hose bib.
- Make sure you know where your main water cut off is just in case you do have a problem.
- Close all foundation vents
- Close each of your exterior doors, shine a light around the exterior of the door and look from the inside for the light. If so, tighten the lock strike plates so the door closes tighter against the weather stripping. If this does not correct the problem, you may need new weather stripping.
- Make sure your windows are closed and latched.
- Check your air filter and replace if needed, the unit works more efficiently with a clean filter.
- Open the blinds and curtains on south facing windows to catch that solar energy which is free.
Thanks for reading and check back often for more ideas about your home.